Sunday, March 4, 2012

Blog Post #4

Podcasting with First Grade 
   This blog was very interesting in that these young 6 year old first graders became so involved and attentive in a less than standard teaching method, that the method should possibly be rethought about being non standard. I found it extremely motivating that the children were excited to know that other teachers and students around the world enjoyed what these kids did so much that it inspired the children to take more pride in what they were doing. Giving children confidence and pride in what they do is possibly the most important thing that we, as teachers, can ever hope to give our students. If it can start at such a young age, then that is even more amazing. I really can’t believe the impact that this project had on these young minds; it is just a wonderful thing. I also think that as far as my own personal podcast is concerned the most important thing that I learned is that I need to be completely open to any and all ideas, no matter where/who they come from.

Flat Stanley Podcast 
I chose to do this podcast because I know about Flat Stanley, and I wanted to see what these kids actually made a podcast about. It’s fantastic that they were able to take a traditional school project and bring it up to date with the times. This project really brought out their creativity, which actually came naturally to them. The idea of doing the podcast made something already somewhat interesting to do, and made it even better. The children were excited and proud of the stories they came up with. For my own podcast, this makes me feel that you cannot ever forget to let your simplistic creative juices loose, no matter how simple, or silly they might seem. 

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom 
   This was a wonderfully well made presentation on the benefits of using podcasts in today’s classroom. Podcasting and Video casting are excellent ways to reach out to this new generation of students, and also fantastic instruments for the parents and teachers themselves. This form of media allows for the students to relate, the parents to stay informed, and the teachers to continually improve the content of what their students are learning. This presentation hit on all the right topics, and I am thoroughly impressed with everyone who took part in this video. The benefits of podcasting and video casting are impossible to argue against and I think we are just scrapping the top of what lies in the future. I also am inspired for my own podcast to not only make as creative as some of the others, but this shows that making sure anything you put together is well made and paramount. Something can be entertaining, without informing, and then you're not really teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment