Sunday, March 25, 2012

Blog Post #8

This is how we dream

            These two videos touched on the theme of using more multimedia in our writings and composition to better get our point across. A common theme of this class is obviously using technology to better our teaching.  Dr. Miller has brought up the idea that even in our most basic of writing compositions, we can use technology to improve on our delivery of whatever idea we may be trying to get across.
            Dr. Miller makes an interesting point that there will be no more pencils, paper, or libraries but only laptops. While this is an exaggeration currently, it’s also most likely somewhat true of the future. Since our most simplistic of writing and composition tasks are now done on a computer rather than paper, wouldn't it make sense that we get the most out of our chosen means of communication? If we as a world are clearly making the transition every day to a more paperless world, I think it obvious that we would get more out of our composition with a little flair from adding film, images, or even sound.
            We also, have to think that our students in this technological age are going to be much more involved and interested in a presentation or paper that has these other forms of media inside them. Our students almost expect this level of media interaction in their other entire daily tasks, why wouldn't we make teaching that much more interesting, especially when the added effort is so nominal. We can add interaction to a simple voting map, and make it surprisingly interesting to people, we can definitely make teaching more interesting for our students by applying these ideas as well.
            In close, Dr. Miller had a great point in showing us the importance of using other media in our digital compositions. This is not something that we will have the choice of doing in the future but rather the norm I feel. I will definitely keep this in mind for all other assignments and classes in the future as well. Thank you.

Carly Pugh Assignment

As you can tell by my 11 YouTube videos, I am definitely working to attain my personal goal of becoming a PE teacher and coach. While PE is definitely a different type of classroom and learning environment, it has many of the same exact challenges as any other discipline taught in school. That being said I have found 11 videos to help guide me thru areas such as classroom management, podcasting, and others.

            Classroom Management, Staying Calm: a Classroom Management Plan and Miss Q’s Classroom Management Plan are the three videos I found most helpful in creating and realizing my own classroom management plan. They not only helped in the actual creation of the plan, but also stressing the importance of even having one. Having a plan is only part of the process; we still must adapt, follow, and change our plans when needed
.Miss Q’s Classroom Management Plan

Staying Calm: A Classroom Management Plan

Classroom Management- Dr. Adolph Brown
            The Benefits of Breakfast PE Podcast was an interesting use of using podcasting, even in the physical education area, to get important information across. I plan on having my students do similar assignments whether it is on diet, exercise, or miscellaneous. This was very forward thinking as PE and podcasting are not probably associated with each other as much as they should be.

The Benefits of Breakfast PE Podcast
            Podcasting in the Classroom is just a wonderful video that gives me more desire and motivation to use this form of media to motivate and educate my students in a different way. I will use this video as a refresher when I need motivation to come up with a new idea on how to get my students engaged and involved.

Podcasting in the Classroom
            Join the Global Classroom Today and Leveraging the Virtual Classroom are fantastic videos that stress what kind of teacher I hope to be. I definitely want to open my students up to the rest of the world and show them that there are students just like them all over. I think it would be a great idea to show them students in other parts of the world maybe playing different games and sports in their PE classes than we do, and give those games and sports a try for ourselves. No matter what the field of education I end up in, I will make a very conscious effort to expose my students to the global classroom and other students for sure.
Leveraging the Virtual Classroom

            School MUVE Physical Activity Program was a great example of thinking outside the box to get kids going. This teacher actually created something new to achieve her goal of getting these kids physically active. I definitely do not want to fall into the trap of always doing what’s been done, without looking for new and better ways to teach my students.

School MUVE Physical Activity Program
            The Greatest PE Teacher was just a video that I like because it reminds me to always have fun. Students enjoy a teacher who enjoys teaching. By making sure that you are having fun and enjoying your teaching, I think that is almost a guarantee that you will be a better teacher as well. While we have to stay focused on our job of teaching, we can still have fun doing it.

The Greatest PE Teacher
            These are just a few of the resources that I will refer to in my teaching career to make me a better educator. I hope you enjoy and get as much out of them as I did. Thank you.

Here are a few more as well..
Blogging in the Classroom
Student Motivation in Physical Education



EDM310 is Different

            The Chipper video and EDM310 for dummies videos were very entertaining and actually quite well made. I think it’s wonderful that we are learning to make movies like these for use later in life. Not only will our teaching benefit but our lives as well. We can make movies for rehearsal dinners, kids’ birthdays, or even events we may want to promote at school. The main message that I got from the Chipper video is that we need to do things the right way and for the right reasons to be successful. You have to have both of these attributes to truly get the most out this class, as well as our careers. The EDM310 for dummies movie just showed the sense of accomplishment that we get when we finally learn how to use these new tools that we are using in this class.
            As far as a video that I might like to participate in, I was thinking of making The Perfect EDM310 Educator video. This would be a video that shows the absolute perfect ideal for an EDM310 educator. The teacher would use all the forms of media we have learned about with their students as well as show how their PLN’s and PLE’s help her daily. She would also be very creative and interactive with her students and teach them to be creative and interactive as well. I think that would be a fun assignment since there is no such thing as a perfect teacher, so we could try our absolute best to create one. I guess I like the idea of trying to create the impossible.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn

I absolutely agree with every point made in this video. As I have said before, technology is not an option, it is a standard. The school systems around the country are still fighting this for some archaic reason. We will have to submit to the fact that we MUST teach our children how to use these tools to better their lives. Our students already know how to do so much with technology, but for some reason we rebel against teaching those to do things that are productive and educational with these resources that they already use daily.  Only when we can embrace this new world of learning will we truly be able to say that we are doing the best we can to teach our students, but not until then.

Scavenger Hunt 2.0

1.  I did actually choose to sign up for Edmondo. I chose Edmondo for many reasons. The first of which is its similarity to Facebook and its familiarity not only for myself but for my students and parents as well. With so many people already familiar with Facebook, why not make use of something that makes people feel familiar with it and that might actually increase their usage as well. I also like the interactivity of this site. I can have polls, ask questions to my students or parents, and publish assignments and announcements as well. We can create study groups and message boards for homework or projects. Their truly is not much of anything in the form of communication with parents and students that cannot be accomplished using Edmondo.
2.  I believe that they may have actually used Prezi to make their presentation. As I am already familiar with Prezi, the presentation looked very familiar from the beginning. The deal that they offer to teachers is wonderful....it’s FREE!! Well, there is one option for a free membership and one option for a premium membership that includes more storage space and a desktop software option.
4.  WAX is high performance special effects video software. You can really do just about anything to videos with this, even make something 3D. I can take movies and add any kind a special effect for the most part using the existing footage. This software is simple enough for beginners, but also advanced enough for seasoned video editors.
5.Take my Poll

1 comment:

  1. You really seemed to enjoy these videos. I agree that most of these posts fairly accurately describe what class rooms will be like in the future. The only thing is you don't seem to give your opinion on what you think about these changes.

    ReplyDelete